Back To Budgets & Better Eating

October 08, 2013

This week feels like the perfect time to get back into cooking at home and healthy eating. I have started using Mint.com {A really cool service (and free!) that you can hook all of your credit card and checking accounts to so you can track all of your spending.} And it turns out I spend most of my money on rent (shocking...), food & dinning, shopping and travel. Food & Dinning feels like an easy solve as long as I can turn my fridge back into looking like this...

source
I made a trip to Trader Joe's, and picked up a lot of goodies. I swear you can't shop anywhere else in the city and get this much bang for your buck. I got all of this for my healthy eating plan for the week for less than $60!! 


So this week, I will be following a friend of mine's diet plan for bettering your eating habits. The menu focuses a lot on food that is lean and high in protein, low on carbs and high in fiber.

Here's my day 1 plan. Check back this week for more menus and to see how it's going. Would love for you to join me! Watching what you eat is always easier with friends!

Breakfast
Fage Greek Yogurt 0% + Low Sugar Granola, high fiber

Snack
Fresh Fruit

Lunch
I am loving Greek Salad at the moment with cucumbers, tomatoes, light feta cheese, kalamata olives and a low-fat vinaigrette 

Snack
Yogurt - no added sugar

Dinner
Red Pepper chopped
5-7 Baby Bella Mushrooms, sliced
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
{Cut sausage, pepper and mushrooms and heat in a medium skillet for about a minute. Add roasted tomatoes and cook over medium high heat, stirring for about 15 minutes. Add cumin and cayenne pepper half way through, stir.}

Served with roasted brussel sprouts 
{ To cook the brussel sprouts I washed them and chopped them in half. Then I heated them over about a tbsp of olive oil, adding salt and pepper for about 3-5 minutes. Then I covered them and turned off the heat and let sit for about 10 mins. }

Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and comment. I love hearing from readers!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground