It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere - My Most Favorite Cocktail

June 24, 2014


Sometimes a girl just gotta have her favorite cocktail. Mine is a bashful maiden.

For me that means I'm pretty SOL since my favorite cocktail is a pretty crazy speciality one from a bar/restaurant called Macao in Tribeca. (New York readers - please go there and drink this drink for me!) For the two years, it was in the perfect location  - right across from my office. So this vacation, I was dying to make this drink and treat everyone to pretty much the best freaking drink I've ever had. As it turns out, New York really is ahead of the speciality cocktail game.  Bashful Maidens require Velvet Falernum, which is not a usual liquor or one people in South Carolina have never heard of - I don't blame them because until I looked up the cocktail I had no clue I had been drinking it. It's a sweet syrup that's used in tropical drinks and is a mix of almond, ginger, clovers, limes and vanilla. 


Ingredients
Recipe from Macao Trading Co.

Yields - 1 drink

.5 oz (1 tbsp) gin 
.5 oz (1 tbsp) St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur 
.75 (1.5 tbsp) Velvet Falernum
.75 (1.5 tbsp) Lemon Juice
1 oz (2 tbsp) Cantaloupe puree

First things first after you've collected the ingredients is to make the cantaloupe puree. This is actually really easy and just requires you have a blender. Once you puree the cantaloupe mix all of the ingredients together in a cocktail shaker and add two handfuls of ice. Shake for about 45 secs-1 min. Use the strainer and pour into a cocktail glass or in my case...a wine glass. 



One of the funniest parts of ordering this drink at Macao is the first time you order it. You're sitting casually at the bar with some coworkers talking about the day, and clap! The bartender claps the mint spring in their hands to garnish your drink. In true Macao fashion, rinse and pat dry your mint, and clap the sprig between your hands - this releases the herbs aroma making every sip smell fresh and minty.

Enjoy! 


1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and comment. I love hearing from readers!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground