5 Tips For Getting Back Into A Workout Routine

June 17, 2014

Once you're out of a workout routine, it's amazing how difficult it can be to get back into it. Your usual workout is all of the sudden a lot harder than you remember it being, and you realize really how out of shape you are. For me finding the motivation to get back into it has been hard, so I've pulled together 5 tips that have made it easier for me to get back into it.

1. Pick A Motivating Playlist
Just how music can bring back a memory of a feeling during a moment, it can have a lot to do with your energy during a workout. A beat you can match a running pace to or something that you want to dance to can go a long way. Two of my favorite apps for this are FratMusic - a user-generated playlist application, and Pandora's Running station.


2. Try A New Workout
If I stick to the same type of workout in my routine I get bored, so a new workout can help you feel entertained and more willing to workout. Right now, I have a lot of friends who are really into Barre classes and FlyWheel, so both are on my list to try. If you're not into classes and like to run switching up your location helps too!

Barre- is a workout built around a ballet bar that mixes stretching and strength training movements to target different muscles in your body.

source

Fly Wheel - is an indoor cycling experience lasts 45 or 60 minutes and includes climbs and descents, while working arms with weighted bars.
source
3. Download A WorkOut Application
I've found this helps motivate me because at the end of the workout you feel an accomplishment knowing how far you went. It also stores your workout information in one place letting you track you progress. I just downloaded the Nike Run application, and loved it's sharing feature that overlays your route, location and distance over an image of your choice. Here's mine from my last run at the beach.



4. Buy New Work Out Clothes
It's amazing how new work out clothes can help motivate you. I have a pair of LunarEclipse running shoes from Nike that when I got them I was so motivated I joined a running club. 




5. Find A Workout Buddy
This one is really a great trick, and chances are you have a friend who is trying to stay motivated too. Planning a workout with a friend makes it so you can't skip if you're not feeling up to it. This is something I've tried doing and what I liked most about it is how working out with a friend pushes me harder than I would by myself.

6 comments:

  1. I had no idea Frat Music had an app, I will be trying this tonight! Thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's great. I ran to the World Cup playlist yesterday and ran my first 3 miles in a while. I'm also recruiting you for number 2 and 5. We are doing flywheel.

      Delete
  2. I have a post similar to this and you just reminded me to get another fitness post going! I loved this one! You know how I feel about Barre workouts ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'll take all the inspiration I can get :)

      Delete
  3. those pink nike shoes look familiar ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might know someone who has them :) I'm dying for these royal blue and coral ones http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/lunareclipse-4-running-shoe/pid-1485101/pgid-830332

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and comment. I love hearing from readers!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground