Thai Tempeh & Pineapple

June 06, 2013

As a kid, I swore off red meat after a fateful night at the dinner table with some "delicacy" aka calves liver (and you thought finishing your veggies was bad) my mom cooked up. A study abroad program and host family later, and red meat was back in my diet. Even so, I still have my days when I'm just not in the mood for any kind of meat.

A friend from college has an amazing Instagram feed (seriously, follow her!) full of yummy veggie and vegan dishes. I LOVE tempeh and other soy based products, so her sautéed tempeh, sweet potato and edamame inspired me to come up with my own recipe. This dish is a thai inspired, vegetarian tempeh with brown rice, pineapple, green peppers and basil. Healthy eating at its best :) 


People often ask how vegetarians get protein if they aren't eating meant. 

FUN FACT (does this make me a nerd?)

Ingredients
1 packet basamati brown rice
1 packet tempeh
.9 to 1 lb pineapple
5 basil leaves
2 tbsp soy sauce
3/4 cup vegetable broth
1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 serrano pepper
1/2 green pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 lime

Servings: 3-4

Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins

Remove tempeh from packet and slice into relatively even cubes. Slice pineapple into cubes as well. In a medium skillet, heat broth and soy sauce until it's about to boil. Add tempeh, cook for 1 min. Then reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 10 minutes. 



While tempeh is cooking prepare (slice or chop) basil, lime, serrano pepper and green pepper. Add cayenne pepper to pineapple. Once tempeh is done cooking, remove and set aside. Add pineapple, and chopped green pepper to soy sauce and broth and turn heat to medium. Chop serrano pepper and add it to the sauce mixture. Squeeze 1/2 lime into sauce and veggie mixture. Add half the basil. Allow sauce to heat to a near boil. Cover and reduce to simmer. Meanwhile, cook basamti rice in microwave. 


While pineapple and peppers cook, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil and a medium skillet. Add tempeh and sear for 5 minutes or until golden brown.

Serve starting with pineapple and green peppers on the bottom, brown rice in the middle, tempeh on the side and add sauce over the whole dish.

**NEW**
I will now be providing nutritional info for my recipes! Complete with weight watchers points.

NUTRITIONAL INFO
Calories: 228.6
Fat: 6.7 g.
Carbs: 33.5 g.
Fiber: 2.7 g.
Protein: 12.3 g. (!)
Old Points: 5
Points Plus: 6

Enjoy, and if you give it a try let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and comment. I love hearing from readers!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground