Hard Chic // Schiaparelli and Prada

August 13, 2012

This weekend I went to the Met to see the Schiaparelli and Prada: Impossible Conversations exhibit. It was really interesting to see how completely opposite these two Italian designs are in how they approach fashion, and surprisingly comical

One of my favorite highlights from the exhibit was the focus on Hard Chic, a fashion trend from the 1930s to the end of World War II that focused on attention in the shoulder, with butterfly sleeves, banjo sleeves, and exaggerated shoulder pads. (sorry for the dark photos - these are clipped from an online video tour of the exhibit!)


source

source
What I like about this trend is its simplicity and subtle femininity. It reminds me of Top Shop's line from a show earlier this year featuring "utilitarian dressing reworked for the modern girl."

"Utilitarian dressing reworked for the modern girl" or maybe...hard chic?

source

source

source

source

source

source

Do you like Hard Chic or not?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and comment. I love hearing from readers!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground